Sitting down for 8 hours a day really isn’t good for us, especially when measures aren’t taken to minimise the damage. Here are some top tips to help you have a healthier working day.
- Every 20 minutes, look away from your screen at something distant for 20 seconds
- Position frequently used objects (i.e. mouse, phone, brew etc.) within an arms reach to avoid stretching
- Take regular breaks and don’t sit in the same position for long periods. Make sure you change your posture as often as is practicable, and stand up / walk as often as possible.
- Request a headset to avoid phone strain
- Blink more to moisten your eyes
- Place your monitor about an arms length away from you
- Position your monitor to avoid screen glare from things behind you
- Ensure that the top of your monitor is eye level for you (use stacks of paper)
- Adjust your screen brightness & contrast to look similar to an Amazon Kindle (like ‘digital paper’)
- Push your hips as far back as they can go in the chair and sit back
- You can reduce your risk of back pain by adjusting your chair so your lower back is properly supported, or requesting a back rest
- Ensure that your knees are slightly lower than your hips
- Adjust your chair height so that you can use the keyboard with your wrists and forearms straight and level with the floor
- Rest your feet flat on the floor
Following these healthier working practices will help you to boost your wellbeing in the office. If you would like more information on sitting comfortably, our friends at Calibre Office Furniture have a few tips too.